Thursday, November 8, 2007

Doctor's Visit

Yesterday was another visit to the doctors. Baby's heartbeat sounded very good again and the doctor said everything looked good.
I'm getting a new asthma controller medication since the one I'm on now has been discontinued. The doctor has assured me that it is safe to use while breastfeeding too, so I'm finally done with my indecision on whether or not I should breastfeed.
He also looked over our birthing plan and said it looked good.
Plus, I finally know what my blood type is since I finally remembered to ask: A+.
My next visit is on the 21, the day before Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

mGk said...

Congrats on the decision to nurse your baby! I am not one of the militant mob that believe that is the only way to go, but I have really enjoyed nursing Madeline so far, and can't imagine strictly bottle feeding her.

I want to let you know that breast feeding isn't an easy thing to do by any stretch, but if you set your mind to do it from the start it can be a really rewarding experience for you, Aaron and your new little one!

I am in no way an expert, but I would be happy to help you in any way that I can. I know that having other mothers who have recently been first time nursers was helpful for me. I was able to confirm that the issues I was dealing with (feeding schedules, soreness, fussiness, weight gain, etc.) were things that all mothers deal with. You are not alone and having a truly supportive spouse will be really helpful too!

My unsolicited advice/knowledge: most sources say that you will be sore for about two weeks, and any longer than that and there is a problem... I will tell you that I was sore for 6-8 weeks, and I didn't have a "problem" per se. Just getting used to this new activity just took that long. It isn't comfortable but it does get better over time as your baby gets better at nursing and you develop a "callus".

I wish you all the luck in the world. Parenthood is a truly awesome adventure you are about to embark on. Now that Maddy is six months old I feel much more comfortable saying that it is wonderful! (The first few months were rough :) )