Thursday, September 17, 2009

Possums!

The other night I went downstairs to feed the cats and heard this awful scratching noise coming from the other end of the storage area. I went and turned on the lights and looked around to see what was making the noise (my first thought was it was one of the cats scratching on a cardboard box). Instead, there was a possum going crazy trying to get out of the window well!

I told Aaron about it and he said just wait till morning and then call animal control to come get it out. So come morning I look on the internet to find the number for animal control and what I find is that I need to call the local animal shelter; that they do animal control for domestic and native animals in the area. I try giving them a call only to find that they don't open till 11:00 am.

Meanwhile, I go downstairs to check on the possum and see that it has left bloody scratches on the inside of the window well and our window. Quentin came down with me and he ran over by the other window well we have, and glancing out I find that there is a possum in that window well too! How crazy is that!

Once it was 11 I tried calling the shelter again and the woman I talked with said I needed a different number since they only delt with domestic animals. I then call the number she gave me and the woman I talked with there said she doesn't come get animals; she does rehabilitation for animals. So helpful!

In any case she suggested I put a broom or something of that nature down in the window well to let the possums crawl out on their own. Let me tell you, brooms don't work! The only other thing we had that was long enough was an aluminum ladder, which apparently possums will climb up. So we are minus one possum and hopefully tonight the other will take its leave as well.

What I've learned from this is that animal control in Osky for wild animals is apparently non-existant and the person they put you in touch with obviously does not know what she is talking about. Yes, the possums need something to help them climb out, but a broom isn't going to work! The other thing I learned is that we need to get those window well covers we've discussed getting sooner rather than later!

No comments: